Monday, August 17, 2009

Very UNexpected-read at your own risk there is death involved

Yesterday was a great day until approximately 4pm.

Here's how it played out:

Christina: "Hey, can one of you go and pick up my mom from work? The paramedics are at Gramma Taylor's and they are having trouble reviving her and Kathie is freaking out" (Kathie is Nichole's mom)

Me: "Sure, I can do it."

So I drove to pick up Val and shortly after she got into the car we found out that the paramedics were not able to revive her and they stopped their efforts (this was after doing CPR on her for 38 minutes and doing everything they possible could to save her life).

Val and I went to Gramma Taylor's house and when we arrived Nichole's dad was sitting on the steps and looking at the paramedics that were in the ally discussing something.

Jim: "Hey, Kathie's in the house. Mrs. Taylor isn't in there"

Val and I walked into the house to comfort Kathie and that's when we discovered he meant Gramma Taylor wasn't in the ambulance. She was laying on the dining room floor with a white blanket pulled over her covering all but her hands, her left foot and part of her right leg. Someone put a pillow under her head so she'd be more comfortable-the pillow case had pink flowers on it.

Normally a dead body doesn't really bother me because they are usually in the casket and have clothes and makeup on. However, I was not expecting to see her in the house and to be honest it was not something I wanted to see. I felt as if I was walking into a movie set and that CSI was going to show up to tag the place and find things that shouldn't have been left by someone who was trying to do her harm. I found that if I thought about it in that light the severity of being in a room with a newly deceased person didn't seem so...oh I don't know...maybe morbid is the word I'm looking for.

Later on in the evening we discovered the reason Kathie was "freaking out" is because Gramma Taylor had called her minutes before because she wasn't feeling well. Kathie ran over to Gramma Taylor's house (they are about a half a block from each other) and when she got there Gramma Taylor was still alive, and told Kathie that she had been throwing up and needed some water. Kathie went to get her a glass of water and when she came back Gramma Taylor was gasping for breath. Kathie called 911 and started CPR. While she was on the phone with 911 she was instructed to put her on the floor to do the compressions but Kathie wasn't strong enough to mover her to the floor. I'm almost positive that Kathie is upset because she feel's partly responsible for her dying. I really do hope Kathie realizes she did what she could to save her.

All in all it was a long, sad day.

So to Gramma Taylor, I wish you much peace and a smooth journey.

If you've made it this far, thanks for listening.


  1. Wow.

    I used to be a journalist and had to cover accidents. Not a good time (in fact it's why I gave it up)

    The last one I covered involved the deaths of five children and two adults. And I saw every one of them, uncovered.

    I went home and hugged my two little children (this was years ago) and vowed to quit the rat race.

  2. That is so sad, I couldn't have walked in that house, and they would have had to revive me had I.

    Sorry for the loss. THat is hard.